Thursday, April 11, 2013

Researching

Rain, sleet and snow keep pummeling Northeast Wisconsin.  Kept inside, I worked on research for the next book.

When I began working on Jake Dog and the Four Cats yesterday, I realized there were going to be gaps in the story if I didn't do some research.  I am helped with my habit of keeping records.  First of all, I keep a daily journal.  Though for some years the records were spotty, in 1984, the year we moved to this house, I became a regular journal keeper.

Today, I went inside my office closet and dug out the journals.


Then I went to the scrapbooks with pictures, newspaper articles and so on that go back to my birth.

There I found a newspaper column by Susan Manzke who helped in the move to this address in June 1984.

I still had a question.  Did we get Mean Ol' Ms Baby Doll when we were in the old house or in this one?  I was going to ask Chris if he remembered but it came to me this morning when I took a shower.  I remembered that she arrived with a nice case of fleas.  When she arrived I took her directly to the tub and gave her a bath before her fleas could escape into the living room carpet.  It was painful for both of us.

I don't think she ever forgave me.

With all my records, I should have the book written by the end of summer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment