Sunday, April 7, 2013

Frittering

When I finished the book this past week, I breathed a sigh of relief and decided to go into frittering mode. I left almost immediately for Illinois and took with me Stieg Larsson's Millenium series on my Nook and have done very little work since I started reading the books. Millennium
This Swedish author wrote the trio of books:  The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest, all about one of the most interesting heroines in literature, Lisbeth Salander.

There were some problems with it. Each of the books started slow and seemed to take forever to get to the point. There seemed to be far too many characters with names that were similar. I finally resorted to writing the names down in columns and making notes on what each were doing in the plot. Larsson seemed to be obsessed with writing what each character was wearing. Why should the reader care?  And like many European writers, he had to write the background story for each of the characters no matter how minor which didn't move the plot along very well.  Still, they were ripping good plots overall.

Larsson planned to have ten books in the series in all but one day the elevator didn't work, and after walking up flights of steps, he collapsed.  I would like to have seen so much more of Lisbeth Salander, best computer hacker in the world.

I've finished the books now and can get back to work....until I get lost in another book.




No comments:

Post a Comment