Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Here and there

This morning the temperature was 2 degrees F. when I woke up here in Seymour.  I looked at the weather report from Pass Christian, Mississippi and it was going to be 68 degrees.  This is why I plan winter trips.

It works the other way, too.  Seymour in July can be brutal with high temperatures and humidity.  So I am going to Ontario where the temperatures will inevitably be ten degrees lower.

Today I set the car up for the trip.  Gary thought of the system several years ago and I like it.  I have a four door station wagon.  Behind the driver's seat, I have a plastic dresser with two drawers.  When I am camping I only have to open that car door to have all my clothes accessible. Behind that there's a tub with my shoes and boots.  Underneath that tub is another with winter jackets and summer jackets, because at this time of year, I need both.  I won't know what I need until I get there.  And behind that is another set of drawers that open to the end of the car.  Those contain first aid stuff, my performance clothes and nightwear, plus a hot water bottle to fill with hot water and stuff at the foot of the sleeping bag before I turn in at night.  

Also back there is a crate that contains my cookware and some packages of hot chocolate, teas, oatmeal and dried foods I can cook with only water.

Directly behind the passenger seat are my tent and canvas chair. The rest of the right side of the car contains the inflatable sleeping mat, covered with a heavy duty sleeping bag and above that the lightweight sleeping bag.  In case of rain, I can keep them inside the car and sleep right there. If the weather looks good, I back the car into the campground site.  The tent goes up and the mattress and bags slide right into the tent.  Easy. The entire process takes about fifteen minutes.

In the passenger area I have my purse, my books, my files, my computer,anything I need to get at quickly. In the morning, there will be a little cooler there I'll fill with snacks for the trip. I like nuts, fruit, and fresh vegetables.  

I'll be out of here by ten tomorrow morning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment