Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Well Laid Plans

Over a month ago, I began inviting friends to my yearly party, the One Size Fits All Winter Solstice Sing for Your Supper Party and Precursor to the Mayan End of the World. The date was set for December 20th, or this coming Thursday.  A good sized contingent sent acceptances.  It looked to be a lively party.  I cleaned and decorated the house and made out a menu.

So much for plans. A blizzard is likely to deposit 8-12 inches of snow starting Wednesday night.  Now the problem is...do I cancel?  Many of the people live here in Seymour.  Then there are some who will show up no matter what the weather.  And maybe the storm won't be as bad as forecast, or will be over by say, noon, giving the highway department a chance to clear the roads.  And to tell the truth, I can't remember everyone I invited so I can't exactly cancel.

After thinking it over, I decided on a new menu, a sort of cook it as they come series of courses. There will be appetizers at 6:00, turkey breast and trimmings later on. Turkey breast is a good leftover. Next, if necessary, there will be a ham if needed. I bought the ham for Christmas Eve but I can always get another.
There will be popcorn, caramel corn, peanuts, cookies and candy.  There's plenty of stuff in the refrigerator and freezer, things like frozen pizza, stir fries, vegetable soup.

The Sing for Your Supper part of the invitation states that the attendees much perform, be it music, a story, a piece of art.  Those who opt out of that can bring food instead.  That usually means something like fruit, vegetables, or chips.  So there should be enough food.

If it is indeed a really bad blizzard and no one comes, I'll have plenty of food on hand for the holidays.  On Christmas Eve, Chris, Tisha and Evan will be here.  On Christmas Day I will drive to Dixon, Illinois to Gary in his farmhouse.  I'll have a big cooler of leftovers for him.

Unless, of course, the Mayans were right.  Then I have no problem at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment