Monday, December 17, 2012

Frustration

Back in January 2011, I self-published an e-book, Yesterday's Secrets, Tomorrow's Promises, a romance so trashy I published it under a nom de plume.  It took me a week of frustration and tinkering before I got the thing done and even then it was filled with typographical errors and one big error in logic.  It was my first experiment in self-publishing and I never got around to fixing the problems.

I thought I would do that this week and get the e-book in good order then publish a paperback version in time for Valentine's Day. As usual, there is a help desk that you can e-mail but the chance of getting an any useful information is zero.  I even wrote a snail mail some time ago, but no answer there either. Telephones?  They don't exist.

I found a set of instructions and set to work. First on the list was to go to my account but somewhere along the line, Amazon.com and I lost track of each other. I haven't gotten a report of any sales in a year and I can't access my files. I spent two hours this morning trying everything to do so and got nowhere. I have yet to get to the files.

When Wade and I published Black Coffee Fiction, he did all the publishing work because he is much better on computers than I am. Even he got frustrated.  He told me he took to screaming at the computer screen!  That is exactly what I did when I published the romance.  I decided I would try to do this book on my own.  Screaming has already become part of the process.

I'll give it another try tomorrow, but if after a week I haven't repaired the e-book, I will forget about it and just publish the paperback.  The instructions for that look a little easier.


No comments:

Post a Comment