Friday, December 21, 2012

Solstice

Last night, I didn't clean up or do the dishes after my party on the chance the Mayans were right.  They were wrong, it seems.  We're still here so I spent the day freezing up food and hiding the cookies from myself.

It is the Winter Solstice, however, the shortest day of the year and the beginning of my winter depression which will begin the day after Christmas.  I hold on by taking Vitamin D3 and St. John's wort, using a light board and thinking about spring.

I began my spring countdown on Facebook two years ago and my friends liked it.  So today I announced it was 90 days until the spring equinox.  The 21st marks the shortest day of the year.  Here in Seymour the sun rose at 7:27 am and set at 4:16 pm. meaning we had 8 hours and 49 minutes of daylight.  If it were true daylight it would not be so bad, but our winter days are often cloudy and gray if not filled with snowstorms. Add to that the cold that keeps us inside and not out exercising.  

Not much changes through December.  We will gain only four minutes of daylight in this month.  January is better. By January 31 we will have another hour of sunshine.

This year, I will gain some time outside by heading south and doing a small tour in Mississippi, with a possible foray into Alabama.  Today, I found more work so the trip is a go.  I will drive down to Dixon, Illinois first to spend time with Gary before going south.  It is my plan to camp in some of the national forests if the weather permits.  By keeping housing costs down, the trip is affordable plus I really do like camping.  I am working with the national forest service to select my campgrounds.

There will an extra hour of sunlight in Mississippi and more important, warmer weather. I've done these winter tours before and they do make the winter more livable.  When I return it will only be a little over forty days until spring.  That's do-able.

----------------
Today, Bettyann Moore added "The Old Man", her latest short story to Black Coffee Fiction http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com

I seem to have a bad affect on Betty and Wade Peterson, who both have been adding to our collection of depressing Christmas tales.  By next December we expect to have another collection of short stories.

I also am well on my way to re-publishing Yesterday's Secrets, Tomorrow's Promises, a romance novel I originally published as an e-book at Amazon.com under another name.  Unfortunately, I made some errors, and I want to correct them.  I hope to have that done by mid-January and then make it a paperback.



No comments:

Post a Comment