Monday, November 19, 2012

Two Years and One Month

October 19, 2010 and I was in a Fox Valley Technical College workshop on blogging, taught by Nikki Kallio.  I don't remember exactly why I took that class. I hadn't had much experience with blogs except for an article I wrote about them for a young adult financial magazine, back in the days when the word "blog" was still new.

I started the blog the first day of class and never looked back.  With five exceptions, I've posted every day since.  In the beginning I had two followers, Nikki and another student in the class.  I was writing for myself, not the world.  It was a journal.

But over the years, I've gained followers. These days, I average about 225 "hits" a week.

Some time during this night, I will reach another milestone, 25,000 "hits" from around the world.  I wonder who it will be.

I joined another piece of social media a week ago:  Twitter.  I already have six followers who followed me from Facebook. I'm not sure why anyone would be interested in brief messages only 140 characters long, but here I go again. So far I've "tweeted" seventeen times.

All of it is part of publicizing the short stories Wade and I write at Black Coffee Fiction.  I now spend an hour on PR each morning, no more no less.  I set my oven timer and go of to the world of social media. We can't sell books unless people hear about them.

So who will be my 25,000th visitor?

1 comment:

  1. The blog hit 25,000 viewers at 6:39 a.m. It was rather like watching an odemeter. Thirty thousand here we come!

    ReplyDelete