Sunday, November 18, 2012

Dental Skyping

When I met Gary's Aunt Shirley, one of the first things she did was ask to see my teeth.  She was proud that she still had her own teeth.  She had always taken good care of them and showed me her front teeth which had no fillings at all. I had to tell her about my dental work, too. I got a kick out of that.

Shirley is in the hospital this week.  She remembers falling in the kitchen and crawling into the living room.  She said the next thing she knew she was in the hospital but thought it was only a couple of hours later.  She is happy enough to be there.  In a few days, she'll be in a nursing home as she gets her strength back, but she still thinks she will be going home eventually.

Gary says if she is to go home (he has doubts), someone will have to live with her and it could be him until they find someone else. I wait and wonder what our future will be. He's talked about us moving down to Dixon to take care of things for a year or two before.  I don't like the sound of that. It's hardly a good place for a Democrat like me!

For the time being, I'm on my own. There is nothing to do but go on with things. Tomorrow I'll start getting Christmas decorations out and put the exterior lights on the house and shrubs while the temperatures are still warm. I am still debating about having a Christmas tree.

This afternoon, I got a Skype call from Gary, down in Illinois. He was at the hospital and said there was someone who wanted to talk to me and there was old Shirley on my computer screen. She was amazed. She knows next to nothing about computers. She has an old telephone and one television that barely works in her old farmhouse.

She was mostly interested in how she looked.  She said her nose looked awfully big. The nurses had wrestled her into a tub and given her a good washing. It looked like someone gave her a hair cut, too.

She wanted to know about this room. Behind me was the bulletin board, covered with papers. \What were all those things?

Then she started to look at my face on the screen....and asked to look at my teeth.  

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering how Gary's aunt was since you said you couldn't contact her by phone. Happy to hear she was rescued and is being tended to.
    Happy Thanksgiving to the whole family.

    ReplyDelete