Tuesday, November 20, 2012

It's Upon Us

Two days ago the Christmas cactus I bought at Don's Quality Market two years ago burst into bloom.

It has thrived ever since I brought it home, blooming every year in November and hanging on almost to Christmas. I enjoy it so much I may buy another.

But then it hit me that Thanksgiving is Thursday. How did we get here so quickly? It seems like we were just sunning ourselves at a summer beach. How did we swoop past Halloween into the holiday season?

It isn't even Thanksgiving, it's that I am not ready for Christmas. Gary is the one that usually puts up the Christmas tree and the exterior lights.  He goes absolutely crazy with decorating, works on it for a week, then says "Bah, Humbug."  But Gary is in Illinois taking care of his aunt, so it's up to me.

All the Christmas decorations are in a cubbyhole over the garage. There are no lights in there, so I have to crawl in with a flashlight to find things. With Gary's aunt in mind, I take the cellphone in there with me in case I get trapped under boxes.

Then it's a matter of figuring out what works and what doesn't.  The wheel on the little fiber optic tree here in the office is not turning.  I don't want a fire so for now, I can't turn it on. Gary thinks he can fix it when he comes home. The tree in the bedroom does work but I'm not sure about that big Christmas tree that goes in the living room. I've never assembled it before. 

I still haven't found the wreath for out at the cemetery, the one that goes on my parents' graves. Perhaps when I get to the bottom of all those boxes, the ones Gary put in there.

I am decorating one room at a time so I should be done in another four days.

No comments:

Post a Comment