Saturday, October 6, 2012

Bloody Change of Plans

Yesterday, before going to meet Caim in Green Bay, I went to my doctor to see about my nose.  I'd had three bloody noses, the last one two weeks ago.  I decided if I was going to be doing my Illinois tour, I should have the offending area cauterized.  The doctor did the job but said there was still a scab she didn't want to disturb.

This morning, it happened again, my nose started to bleed profusely.  I thought I could stop it with an ice pack to the neck, pinching my nose, and applying a "tampon" packing the doctor provided. I bled right through.

After three hours of bleeding, with no let up, I called my son who came over right away and took me back to the Appleton Medical Center ER.  In another hour, the bleeding stopped and I was told to go home, avoid blowing my nose and don't sneeze.  How one avoids sneezing, I don't know.

Chris brought me home after stopping at Hardees for a chocolate malted milk shake made with real ice cream. It helped me get my strength back. I highly recommend it.  He left me here to decide what to do next.

I didn't see how I could go to Illinois on Tuesday as scheduled.  How could I tell the stories in performances when blood could spurt out of me at any time.  I have to take my problem to an ear, nose and throat doctor and have it diagnosed properly.

I was to meet my high school friends Norma and Sue at Pere Marquette Park.  I immediately called Norma and talked my problem over.  She had reserved the cabin we were to stay at and paid for a train ticket to Springfield but she got back to me later to tell me she was able to cancel our plans at no cost.  That was a relief.  She also talked it over with Sue and we decided to move our little reunion back to the spring, possibly in March.

On Monday, I have to call all the people who were hiring me, explain the situation, and apologize.

So much for a tour I have been working on since April.

It can't be helped.  


No comments:

Post a Comment