Saturday, September 8, 2012

A Day of Rummaging

Our plan for the citywide rummage sale was as follows:

From 8 to 10, Gary and I would go around to some of the rummage sales just to look around.

From 10 to early afternoon, I would rummage with Tim, soon to be a single father, looking for baby clothes and furnishings.  

Evan was to have a swimming lesson this morning, but he and his parents were to join me in the afternoon for even more rummaging. 

Plans don't always work out, but I think this day turned out even better than I expected.  

Gary and I got a late start so only had an hour to look around.  Right away I found a small blancher/steamer.  The one I've been using for using for years is too big.  It was marked $2.  I offered $1 and got it.There was an unopened bag of cotton summer socks, brand new with the original price of $6.99 still on it for $2.00.  I talked the sellers down to 50 cents then found out when I got home that instead of six pair there were seven.   Next I found a a box of 15 Christmas ornaments, little musical instruments. They are exact matches to the ornaments I got about twenty-five years ago on a decorated artificial tree being taken down at Menards. That tree wore out but I still have the ornaments. I never felt there were enough of them, but now I have enough to make a show. They were $5 but I got them for $2.  I love the bargaining part of the process. 

Tim called to say he was on his way and five minutes later, Chris called to say he, Tisha and Evan were on their way.  It seems Evan's swimming lessons weren't starting until next Saturday.  Well, we would all have to rummage together.  

We finally worked out that Chris and Evan would go with Tisha, Tim and me for a while.  Evan soon found a wonderful toy, spent all his money and went back to Mathom House with his daddy to play video games. Tisha, Tim and I went on.  It worked out wonderfully because Tisha (I call her my personal dresser) is brilliant at finding bargains, plus as a young mother she knew all the things that Tim was going to need.   

She showed him a diaper caddy, a wonderful device for disposing of those smelly diapers. They discussed strollers and cribs and more.  Tim will get some of these things from his sisters and friends whose children have outgrown them plus he could put others on his baby registry, which I guess is like the bridal registry. Tim says he's been buying gifts for showers for years, so he figures everyone owes him big time at his shower in January!

Tisha showed him a bottle sterilizer that he bought and I bought the baby a soft receiving blanket.  

He found a burping towel that said, "I love you Daddy", several little outfits, and a book on what to expect the first year....though Tisha and I both said to expect the unexpected.  

We had lunch at Sissy's tea room.  I finally had a chance to try the chicken salad on cranberry bread that everyone has been raving about and yes, it was delicious  We sat and talked politics and babies for almost an hour then Tisha took this photo of Tim, Evan and me.  

It was a day of bargains and friendship.  In the end, I told Tim he should listen to all our advice then feel free to ignore it.   If you know the difference between good advice and bad advice, you don't need advice.   

No comments:

Post a Comment