Monday, September 3, 2012

Three Gay Caballeros

All this summer I've been following the adventures of my cousin Charles, his partner Sean and their friend Chris as they hike the Pacific Crest Trail.  They have been posting their adventures on their blog
http://3gaycaballeros.blogspot.com/

They haven't been able to post on their blog every day which is understandable considering the way the PCT winds through the mountains and forests, still every three or four days they would catch up. Each time I was left wondering what they were doing and if they were all right.

Then on August 24th, their posts stopped and I began to wonder what happened to them.  The last posting was about Sean's mother going into surgery here in Wisconsin.  Were they still hiking or had they decided to quit?

I fretted about it, though never going so far as to call Charles's mother or sister.  Then on the 30st, I consulted the map and realized they were going through the Mount Hood National Forest.  I camped in the forest last summer when I was on tour.  Cell phone coverage was non-existent.  I drove from my campsite to the town of Escontada, Oregon to see about posting on this blog and found out the only internet access in the town was in the library and that was closed.  It was the only time on the tour I failed to post.

I figured Charles, Sean and Chris were having the same problem and so it was when on September 31 they posted : "We are finding it more difficult -- maybe because of the remoteness -- to get a signal strong enough to allow us to upload our log entries and especially our photos. Argh."

But by yesterday, they were able to send the rest of the journal through August 31.  On August 27th they crossed the Bridge of the Gods across the Columbian gorge and entered the State of Washington.

Almost everyone that started out from the Mexican border has given up, they say, but they keep going.  They have about 400 miles to the Canadian border.  They look at their map and say that they are insane to keep going, but on they go despite sore feet, hunger and cold.  Winter comes to the Pacific Crest earlier than it does to the lowlands so at night they wear long underwear and shiver.

What tales they have to tell!  They are all writers so I expect a book is in the offing.

On they go.  I wish them well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment