Saturday, September 15, 2012

Cyberhymnal

Years ago, I was part of a group that sat with the dying at night when family members couldn't be there. I did that until I developed a sleep disorder. These days, when I perform at nursing homes, I sometimes am invited into a hospice situation, to sing a song or two with someone near death.

This week I was in a room with an old woman who is not expected to live much longer.  I am to play an old song, "Shadows", at her funeral. She sang it at her father's funeral and it was played at her mother's funeral, too. I never heard of it before.

The best site for old time songs is http://cyberhymnal.org  At this site I found "Shadows" with a piano score, lyrics, a recording of the song, and the story of the composer. I printed out the score and brought it along today, along with my notebook computer.  I played the piano part on the computer and my friend and I harmonized as we sang "Shadows" to her mother, who sang along with us.


When we cross the valley there need be no shadows,
When life’s day is ended and its sorrows o’er;
When the summons comes to meet the blessèd Savior,
When we rise to dwell with Him forevermore.
Refrain
Shadows! no need of shadows
When at last we lay life’s burdens down;
Shadows! no need of shadows!
When at last we gain the victor’s crown.


This led to us singing one old hymn one after another, using Cyber Hymnal and a paperback collection of hymns.  These old songs took the patient back to her childhood, soothing her as she once was calmed by her mother.

On Monday, I am to join Gary at Lake Ottawa for a week, but I expect I will be called to come back as the end nears.  I will go immediately because I learned years ago that we cannot live until we face death.




No comments:

Post a Comment