Monday, August 20, 2012

Rain, Rummage and Blood Report

It's  rainy day in the Ottawa National Forest.  We make brief sorties around the campground between showers, but I've never made it as far as the boat landing.  When the sun shines, we go to the lake at the edge of our site fourteen campsite to see what's happening. Usually, not much.

With the weather such as it is, this morning we went to Iron River a few miles away.  We stopped at the post office to get post card stamps  but since I misplaced them soon after, the post cards will not be mailed for another day.  I did manage to get one off to Evan before that.  He does like his postcards.

We went to the St. Vincent de Paul thrift store and lo and behold! there was a $2 a bag sale.  We proceeded to stuff a bag with two fleece jackets, one extra long fleece shirt, a diaphanous night shirt, and two sleeveless shirts.   The fleece is necessary as the nights cool down to the 30s here in the national forest.  The diaphanous shirt is appropriate for ladies of a certain age, Gary says. The sleeveless shirts come in handy on warm days. One was needed to replace the bloody one I threw out a week ago.

We told camper Linda about St. Vinnie's and sure enough she was there with her nephew Brandon.  She showed me two shirts he will wear when school starts down in Illinois.

I am feeling less like a hypochondriac today because Theda Care sent me the results of my blood work.  By comparing tests I had done at my yearly physical in May to those done a week ago in the ER and two days later at the doctor's office, I can see how my platelet count dropped dramatically but started to climb again two days later. I love the technology that allows me to keep track of my health.

We bought steaks at Angeli's supermarket in Iron River.  Tonight we will grill them with onion, bake a potato, and cook corn.  That should help the platelet count.

Tomorrow, we plan to travel to Copper Harbor, the northernmost point of Michigan.  By Wednesday, I hope to be strong enough to do the two mile round trip hike to Bennan Lake part of the Ge Che Trail system.

So our days go.




No comments:

Post a Comment