Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Copper Harbor, Michigan trip

We're just back from a long day's trip to Copper Harbor, Michigan.

Copper Harbor is on the Keweenaw Peninsula which juts way out into Lake Superior. It is the northernmost town in Michigan. Isle Royale, one of the national parks, is out across the waters.  My mother told me that Copper Harbor was one of the prettiest places she ever went to.  I would like to go when she did some day, when the fall colors were at their peak.  On this trip we saw only a touch of red, a promise of more to come.

I grew up knowing that U.S. Highway 41 went past Green Bay and Appleton and on to the world.  I didn't know it started at the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula and went all the way to Miami Beach. It makes me want to hit the road and follow it all the way down this February.
From Copper Rock we took the Brockway Mountain Road up to the ridge and looked down on Lake Superior.
Back in Copper Harbor I had seen some signs about the Raptor Watch, so when we got to the visitors center and gift shop at the highest point on the road, I asked the clerk about that.  She laughed and told me it was in March.  Birders came on snowmobiles to watch the big raptors fly through the valley.  She said it was called the "Oops Migration" because the birds think they are going to Canada as they fly up the Peninsula and don't realize they've made a mistake until they reach Copper Harbor.  Then they have to turn around and somehow find Duluth before they can go north again.

At Eagle Harbor we stopped to see the lighthouse.
And took a quick snapshot of Jacob's Falls off Highway 26.
Then to Houghton where Gary could have his heart's desire...another trip to Walmart.

We're back at Lake Ottawa and I am so, so tired.  Tomorrow a lieu day with naps.  

No comments:

Post a Comment