Friday, July 13, 2012

Writing on the Road

We finally got started this morning on our two week trip around Lake Superior,.  Our first night we are sleeping in our tent at Laura Lake.  The rain is coming down in what promises to be a deluge with possible high winds.  No problem, we are used to it.

A bigger problem was getting my story done at Black Coffee Fiction http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com

With all the preparations, I kept putting off writing the short story, which had to be posted at 4:00 p.m. today.  I had every intention about writing another "Love in the Decades" story, but it wasn't coming together. I set the alarm for 5:00 a.m. to get up and work on it, but then found I couldn't sleep.  I was obsessing about the story yet nothing was getting resolved.  I had no ending to it.  I got up at 1:00 a.m., worked on it for two hours and made no progress.  Finally, back in bed, I made the decision to abandon that story and instead work on one of three rough drafts I had in a folder.  With that, I slept well.

We packed up the last few things, said good-bye to Rascal Cat, and we were off. This computer was on my lap.  I chose a story that had a great beginning but had never had an end.  I talked it through with Gary.  We decided that what the story required was a dog.

With that, I began to type.  I worked on it through the entire two and a half hour drive to Laura Lake and for another hour and a half at the picnic table at the campsite.  By 1:00 p.m. I had the story.  I put it aside to let it gel in my mind, took a nap and at 3:00 was back to the story for the final re-write.  I posted it at 4:00 p.m. precisely.

I have proved to myself that I can write on any trip in the worst situations, as I finish up this blog's post in a rain storm.

Next week's short story will be written by Bettyann Moore and the one after that by Wade Peterson, so from here on, our trip is free of any writing except for this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment