Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Summer Reading Program

The Muehl Public Library here in Seymour began its summer reading program on Monday.  Besides programs based on a night time theme for children, teenagers and toddlers, there is one for adults: "Between the Covers".

Elizabeth, our head librarian, wanted to encourage people to explore the city and try new things, so she designed twelve tasks, which are on the card I picked up.  I must complete six of the twelve and have them initialed by a librarian.  I'm an overachiever, so I plan on doing more than the requirement.

Here are the tasks:
1.   Take a photo of yourself reading a book in bed and post it at the library.  (With Gary's help, I'll have that done by tomorrow.)
2.   Read a large print book.  (I've checked out a Fannie Flagg novel.)
3.   Read a romance.  (I doubt I will do that one.)
4.   Read your horoscope.  Clip a copy to the card. (I'll print one off the Internet, I think.)
5.   Watch a move anywhere.  (I'll likely go to one of the movies shown at the library.)
6.   Go to Music in the Park on Depot Street. (Held on Wednesday nights, I can walk downtown and listen.)
7.   Check out a cookbook.  (Probably won't have much time to cook this summer.)
8.   Attend the museum grand opening on July 21.  (I'll be on tour in Canada then, sorry)
9.   Find a constellation.  (Easy when we are camping.)
10.   Listen to a book on a CD.  (I've checked out The Chicken Chronicles, by Alice Walker.)
11. Attend a program on August 17 given by Colleen Sutherland!  (I asked at the library if that would count toward my six tasks.)
12.  Go to the Seymour Farmer's Market.  (I would do that anyhow.)

I figure on completing nine tasks by Labor Day when I can collect my prize.  Everybody wins something. In past years, I've gotten a cup, certificates for groceries, and books.  When I signed up, I was already a winner when I was given a Between the Covers book bag.

It makes me feel like a kid again when I approach the front desk at the library to get a librarian's initial.  Every library should have an adult summer reading program.





No comments:

Post a Comment