Saturday, June 23, 2012

Carrot Cake and Music

Early this morning, I made the frosting for the carrot cake and it was ready.  But after consideration, I had one more thing to do before Gary and I took it to Skip and Judy's to celebrate Solstice.  I went to the computer and made up the following poster to take with it:

Warning:
Carrot Cake
                made with a stick of butter, two cups of sugar, eight ounces of cream cheese, 
four cups of powdered sugar and pecans.   
The carrots are nutritious. 

I've known Skip and Judy for around thirty years, ever since I heard Skip singing and playing his guitar at a University of Wisconsin-Green Bay coffee house called the Blue Whale.  Back then we didn't worry about our health so much, but over the years we have gotten older, shakier and more susceptible to complaints and so have our friends. Some have diabetes and heart conditions.  Then there are the people who have food allergies.  Nuts are big problems for some.

When I put the cake on the cupboard with the sign, Judy laughed.  So did everyone that looked at it and one woman said, "That just tempts me more."  And I was the first one tempted.  It was so, so good.  

Judy had vegetarian chili and salad for lunch, and others brought fruit, vegetables, Rice Krispie bars and other healthy snacks.  People ate at the cake but it was a smaller group than expected.  Skip and Judy's son Andrew slipped in from time to time.   

We sang and talked all afternoon. I requested and heard some of my favorite songs.  I didn't bring my autoharp, but sang harmonies.  We told stories about friends who couldn't be there.  Well, if they don't want funny stories told about them, they should come to the Solstice celebration. 

We left the rest of the carrot cake behind when we departed.  Judy and Skip will be having guests all weekend and I am sure some of them don't have to worry about diabetes, heart conditions, and allergies. 






No comments:

Post a Comment