Monday, June 18, 2012

More Rain

Thunderstorms are rolling through Wisconsin, just as they should in June.  Some places that have experienced drought are now in flood.  Not so here in Seymour.  We seem to be getting exactly what we need.


Suddenly, my gardens have all the moisture they need.  The first indication was a general perking up.  The vegetable garden which was slowly growing, now is producing.  Tomorrow, I'll be making a vegetable stir fry with onions, pea pods, and asparagus.  The zucchini vines have spread rapidly and that includes the first flowers. These are the early flowers without the little "pregnant" bulge that will become the fruit, but they show promise.  I thought the strawberry plants I put in were dying from the drought, but today I noticed that even the worst plant is putting out new shoots.  The tomato plants are adding three inches a day.  The asparagus has continued to grow through the drought, but with spindly little stalks.   Now the big stuff is showing up.  


I talked to the manager of the Seymour farmers market today.  She said she had been watering her plants but now they are on their own. When the market opens a week from tomorrow, she'll have radishes, peas and beans ready to sell.  From that point on, we eat nothing but fresh produce. 


I couldn't work in my garden today because of the thunderstorms, but I look forward to some serious digging in rain softened ground the rest of the week.  


I'm glad that June is finally behaving itself. 











No comments:

Post a Comment