Friday, June 29, 2012

Reunion

This afternoon, I was coming out of the library dressed in grubby garden clothes when a van pulled up, driven by a middle aged man with a couple of older women dressed for a party.

"Colleen, aren't you going to the reunion?"

Darn, I had forgotten all about that. I meant to lie low and avoid my old classmates.

I got the notice about my high school class's 50th reunion a year ago.  I immediately e-mailed my two friends from high school to find out if they were going.  Nope.

Norma went to a reunion long ago, maybe the 25th.  She didn't have a good time. She was trying to talk to people but the organizers had loud music from the 50's and when she finally got into a good conversation, the ex-cheerleaders came over, all chirpy, and said, "Come on, you have to dance!" Sue went to another reunion.  She didn't have a good time either.  They had no intention of going to this one.

The Seymour class of 1962 was not a close one.  There were cliques that ran the class and did their best to make those of us who were not fashionable feel inferior. College was such a relief.  

I don't like social events all that much to begin with.  Give me a mountain trail and I am in heaven.  Put me in a crowd of people who are all trying to impress each other while getting tipsy and I plunge into a depression.
Add to that from my observations of those of my class in the area, and too many turned into Tea Party types. I am not the kind of woman who can keep quiet about politics.

When I thought about going to the reunion I simply felt depressed.  It wasn't worth the money I would have to pay for a meal I didn't want to eat.

Why don't reunion organizers just plan a picnic where people could get together to chat without the loud music and expensive meals?

At any rate, I told the two women in the van that I wasn't going.  Why not? Because I didn't want to. If someone actually wanted to talk to me, they knew where I lived.  Then I promised I would go to the 60th reunion.   I lied.  







No comments:

Post a Comment