Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Plans

In a couple of weeks, Gary and I will set out on a circle tour around Lake Superior.  We'll be gone about two weeks. I have seven performances in Minnesota and Ontario but we'll have plenty of time to explore bays, rivers, lighthouses, and villages. I began working on that tour in January.

In October, I am meeting two high school friends at Pere Marquette State Park in Illinois for a mini-reunion. None of us are going to make the 50th high school reunion this weekend, but the three of us will get together and re-hash the 1950's.   Last month, I started the process of getting work for another mini-tour to help pay my expenses.  I can usually find enough work to go wherever I want to go.

Two days ago, Gary played a song on his computer while I was walking by. He gave me the link to the song, Crosby, Stills and Nash's "Southern Cross".  www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw9gLjEGJrw   

I kept listening to it, and remembered the first time I saw the Southern Cross.  It was at a party to celebrate the end of sheep dipping at an Australian station.  At the end of a day of competing in goofy "Olympics" games, we sat under the stars having a real Aussie barbecue and suddenly there it was, the Southern Cross, the star formation on the Australian and New Zealand flags.

I've been playing the video ever since, thinking of southern climes in February and decided I need to start planning for a third trip.  I don't see going out of the country next winter but I do see going some place warm or at least warmer.  I got out the map of the United States and realized there are two southern states I have yet to visit, South Carolina and Mississippi. I've set my goal, so starting next week, I will begin contacting libraries in the two states.

These trips don't always work out but they do enough to keep me on the road.



No comments:

Post a Comment