Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Garden Friends

As I work in the gardens, two friends stop by to visit, Koala and Mittens.  Koala is a Siamese and Mittens is a fluffy gray and white cat.  They live next door.

My neighbor Elaine's children have always brought home pets and most of the time they have been kittens.  The children leave home but the cats stay.  Poor Elaine is left with feeding, litter tending and vet bills.  Worse, she is allergic to cats, so must take medication to survive.

Elaine is selling her house now to move into an apartment that doesn't allow pets.  That means Koala and Mittens must find new homes or go to the pound.  Both are sweet kitties, but Mittens is everybody's favorite.  He sits next to me and purrs as I weed. From time to time he rolls over to have his belly scratched.  Koala is usually nearby.

Mittens loves everyone.  When the children pass by on their way home from school he rushes out to greet them.  Any visitor warrants his attention.

I wish I could take the cats, but my cat Rascal at nineteen is too arthritic and cranky to allow them.  Besides, Gary and I have plans to travel more and finding cat sitters for one cat is trouble enough.  

So I can only worry about my feline friends and hope that they find a new home with someone that will love them.   

No comments:

Post a Comment