Sunday, May 6, 2012

Rain

My plans to join Gary at this afternoon were spoiled by the rain. 

He took off early this morning before the thunderstorms hit and drove as fast as he could, pulling his camper to Laura Lake, where we always begin our camping year.  

When I convinced Gary to go camping with me for the first time some twenty years ago, it was to Laura Lake, in the Nicolet National Forest.  He fell in love with it.  We begin and end our camping season there, arriving with the loons in the spring, and leaving when the leaves fall in the autumn.  In between we go from one national forest campground to another, because we are required to move every two weeks.  We usually take a break from camping in July when the campgrounds get too busy. 

I was to follow him in my own car after church, but by then it was raining hard in Seymour, and he called to tell me it was the same there.  He hadn't been able to open up the fold out bedroom sections, so he would be sleeping on the couch.  It didn't make any sense for me to go until tomorrow morning. 

I couldn't work in the garden or take walks, so I did the next best thing.  I took a long, long nap.  Then I completed my packing.  I am taking many, many clothes, everything from swimsuits to long underwear,  which will stay in the camper for the summer. 

This summer, Gary invested in Internet service so I can continue the blog wherever we go.  He put in a new TV antenna, so we will have better reception. My cellphone works in most national forests so we can connect with the world. This is not the way I camp when I go out on my own, but I suppose it comes in handy on rainy days. 

Gary just called from site 22 to tell me he was the only camper at Laura Lake all but then another family, and a noisy one at that, showed up and sure enough, camped in the site next to his. 

So maybe rain is a good thing that will drive them away.   

Tomorrow I leave at 9:00 a.m.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment