Friday, May 11, 2012

Paths

Three years ago, I had cataracts removed from my eyes and new lenses implanted.  It was after the first surgery that the doctor said no gardening for a month. He could have mentioned that beforehand.  It was May, and the second surgery came along in June.  That made two months of weeds growing and nothing I could do about it.

Two springs ago, I had a damaged knee.  I was walking with a cane and wore a knee brace.  That was a second year of weeds,

Last spring came with rain and rain and rain and more rain.  By the time the gardens drained, we were in the middle of camping season and I was soon off on a six week tour of the west coast.  More weeds in my garden.

Finally, a good spring, and I am in good shape, but the thought of what I must accomplish is overwhelming me. Three years of neglect makes for a big job.  I finally decided to go at it by working on the paths first, then working into the plots.

The gardens are surrounded by paths.  There are three gravel paths, four brick paths, one tile path, and the rest of the gardens are surrounded by grass trails.

For the past two days, I've worked on the gravel paths, clearing them and working on the flowers on either side, weeding and planting.  These are the two I've done so far.


There's so much more to do, but in these two places, there is serenity.  The rest of the gardens will follow. 

***
Wade Peterson's story, "The House that Sang" is now at Black Coffee Fiction at http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com
Next week, it's my turn again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment