Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Good-bye to Laura Lake

I'm usually the first up.  I go out to the cook tent and set water to boiling while I got down to the lake to see who's down there. This morning it was the loons, with the mallards off doing something else.  A kingfisher was grouchy, as usual. The robins are singing their hearts out.  And the sun rises to a new day.



I have only eight minutes before the tea kettle starts whistling so I walk back up the hill.  I get our tea made and wake Gary up.

It figures that now that the sun is shining, I have to leave. I have a doctor's appointment, a meeting, the garden to work on, a plant sale, church, and a performance before I can return here on Monday afternoon.

Before I go, I take another hike down to the boat landing.  I have a friend who tells me she only hikes on paved trails.  To me a paved trail is just another sidewalk.  I don't even care all that much for the trail that goes through Seymour.  It is graveled and smooth and goes straight on an abandoned railroad bed.  The trails I love look more like this one.


I go down to the dock, watching my steps carefully, using my walking stick to balance myself on the shakiest ground.   I take note that another camper has arrived in the low area we call the Flats.  Three of the thirty seven campsites are filled. 

I leave Gary still working on improving the camper.  It will be cold tonight, so he'll have more blankets to snuggle under.  
I'll snuggle with Rascal Cat and wonder how Gary is doing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment