Saturday, April 28, 2012

Hot Chocolate

I've just made hot chocolate with marshmallows and whipped cream on the top.

I used to have occasional insomnia, maybe once or twice a month.  It was no big problem.  If I couldn't sleep I just got up and worked or read a book and felt I was making good use of my time.  One of the advantages of being a freelancer is that my time is my own and can include naps during the day as needed.

But then my insomnia got a little worse, finally happening once a week with occasional nights with perhaps three hours of sleep in all.  Gary suggested a sleep aid. That would work for a couple of nights, then the third night, it was insomnia all night.  Then I tried melatonin and the result was the same.  I finally started changing sleep medications every third night.  In time, even that didn't work.

Then one cold winter night, Gary made us cups of hot chocolate as a treat.I thought the caffeine in the chocolate would have an adverse effect, but I went to sleep in twenty minutes and slept through the night.  I tried it again the second night and again it worked.  It's been working for two months now.

From what I've read, drinking warm milk isn't supposed to work as a sleep aid, but it does for me, that's all that counts. It is now part of my nightly ritual.

I'm sleepy right now, so will end this post.  


No comments:

Post a Comment