Monday, April 23, 2012

Phenology in the Garden


Seventeen different flowers are in bloom in my gardens. I keep track of them on a calendar my English friend Nancy sent me in the New Year.  I liked the long format and thought it would be good for a gardening diary.



Using colored felt pens, I mark strips, each one another flower species, showing when it begins to bloom and when it finishes.  

My gardening records show that last year eleven species bloomed in April. 

As of today, eighteen are in bloom and five more came and went earlier in the month.  Several more species are in bud, including blue monarda and some irises.  The garden is so busy I am running out of room on the calendar.

Temperatures have been cold at night, yet never cold enough to stop the flowers from blooming. There's slight frost damage on the hosta leaves but everything else is as it should be. 

My concern is that with everything coming along so fast, there will be no color left come June.  I will have to fill in with annuals, and that gets expensive if I have to buy sets from greenhouses. I bought some potting soil and seeds yesterday but where to put all the pots?  The windowsills are already filled with plants. 




No comments:

Post a Comment