Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Another Trip to Plan

Summer is coming on fast.  In another week or so, Gary and will start our camping season at Laura Lake. We usually start and end the season there.  Over the course of the summer, we'll be at least five different campgrounds, each with its own pristine lake, in Wisconsin and Upper Michigan. Those five will be in addition to the Circle Tour around Lake Superior.

Then there is the plan to do a Circle Tour around Lake Superior.  I will be performing at two Ontario libraries plus several nursing homes, still to be arranged.  On the US side, I'll likely find work in Minnesota and Upper Michigan as we work around the lake. We've heard the scenery around the big lake is wonderful, with inlets and bays, lighthouses, forests, animals, and birds we may not have seen before.

We'll find ourselves in Dixon, Illinois at least once, if not twice, to visit his aunt. 

In mid-October, I'll meet my friends Sue and Norma at Pere Marquette State Park in Illinois.  We'll be celebrating our fiftieth reunion from high school where we were best friends.  There will be a reunion here in Seymour, but none of us can make that, so we thought we would like to talk over old times, just the three of us.  Norma and Sue will be sharing a room in the lodge at the park but weather permitting I plan on being in my tent at the campground to watch the sun rise at the Illinois River. They will treat me to a meal at the lodge, and I will make them breakfast at my camp site on my old camp stove.  Pancakes anyone?

(Though I've never been to Pere Marquette Park, it seems like an old acquaintance, for it was Father Marquette and Nicolas Joliet who explored Wisconsin.  The name Marquette shows up all over during our travels. Gary and I will stop at Marquette Michigan on our way around Lake Superior.  Marquette University is one of Wisconsin's best colleges.)

Then in late October, it will be back to Laura Lake for a few more nights in a Wisconsin forest.

In 2011, Gary spent 74 nights at campgrounds, and my count was very close to that.  We hope to do even better in 2012. 

1 comment:

  1. great thought....camping gives you the feeling that you have come out of the materialistic world, where you and your kids are with s'mores, beverages, and LIFE :)

    Camp Stove

    ReplyDelete