Sunday, April 29, 2012

Back to Gardening

After days and days of cold, we had a lovely Sunday.

After church, I set to work in a small vegetable garden. There I have my asparagus bed, with a few spears erupting from the ground each day, as they have since the end of March.  Each summer, I grow zucchini squash there.  There's too much shade in the area to get much zucchini out of it but the vines keep down the weeds and the flowers are rather pretty, too.  I added some sugar snap peas this year.

Though I ordinarily wouldn't plant any seeds until the Memorial Day weekend at the end of May, this has been an unusually mild spring.  The soil is warm to my fingers.  It feels ready for planting.

But I still am too parsimonious to use expensive seeds.  Instead, the sugar snap peas were left over from 2011 and the zucchini seeds were on sale for ten cents a package at a bargain shop.   If they fail, I haven't lost much.

As it happens, I planted peas and onions in my "big" vegetable garden over a week ago and they are now coming up.  So are the sweet peas so Gary and I put up trellises for them.

Tomorrow, I plant okra.  Okra is seldom grown in Wisconsin because it requires too long a growing season, but this year, I may have an extra month of growing time.  Gary, coming from Illinois, loves his okra, so he would be delighted to grow some here.

I have around forty garden beds.  I now have about twenty cleared and ready for more planting.  I'll keep at it through the end of May, then let summer take over the gardens.   

No comments:

Post a Comment