Monday, February 13, 2012

More on the Nook

The more I use the Nook e-book reader Chris gave me in December, the more I like it.  These days, I don't leave home without it.  It is either in my purse or my pocket.

There was a strong learning curve at first.  I am not good at technology, but I am willing to work on something  over and over until I get it right. I visited the library for help and pored over the instruction material.

Wade helped me download the first books from the Gutenberg Project (all classics), and for a while I was satisfied with those. Downloading books from Barnes and Noble was the easiest, but my budget doesn't allow too many of those. I figure I can afford one book a month. I ordered e-books from the library, but there is often a waiting list for favorite books, so it wasn't until this past week that they began to arrive. One book I wanted had over 500 holds.  Last time I looked, I was 55th in line.

Each time I downloaded it was relearning all over but each time, it got faster and faster.  With the Gutenberg books, I take five books at a time. I've gotten pretty proficient.

Gary originally pooh-poohed the idea of e-books, telling me that they would never replace paper, but he soon  liked mine and ordered his own.  Now he is reading Homer's The Odyssey which is so much easier when he can adapt the size of the font depending on whether or not his eyes are tired.   We've been discussing taking our Nooks with us when we work out at the fitness center to read them on the treadmill and recumbent bike.

Packrat Gary likes having lots of books on hand.  Now he can download all those books in one small Nook.
 
I particularly like the Nook when I have a night of restless sleep.  Last night, I found I could read a novel when I was flat on my back, something that doesn't work all that well with a heavy book.  How many times have I dropped a book, losing my place?  That never happens with my little e-reader.

This afternoon, I took Gary to his eye appointment.  With his pupils dilated, he couldn't drive home.  In the waiting room, there we were, reading our Nooks and ignoring all the dreadful magazines doctors seem to think we want.  I almost finished a novel and he managed to get to Ulysses killing Penelope's suitors.

We were satisfied with our gadgets.  I wonder what the next one will be.


No comments:

Post a Comment