Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Sneezing, Hacking, Sleeping

I have a cold.  It's been creeping up on me for days and now it is really here.

When Gary gets a cold, it shows up suddenly.  He gets very sick and is in bed for a day or two, then the thing is over.

My colds aren't like that. They move through my body in slow motion, affecting one part of my body at a time.  This one first showed up as a cold sore, then became an ear infection. Next came body aches. Yesterday my eyes were watering. Today, with the advent of the sneezing and coughing variety, I finally have been laid up.

I can go for years without being sick so in one way I don't mind this cold.  It gives me a perfect excuse for a vacation from doing anything with my brain.  I put aside the third draft of the novel and didn't think about working on short stories at all.

The timing is good.  The sidewalks are far too slippery for walking anyhow.

With my mind mushy, I've spent the day reading, watching TV or sleeping.  We took one little drive in the sunshine so I could get some fresh air.  Then it was back for another nap. 

Rascal led the way.  He sleeps beside me.  Occasionally, he struggles to his feet, stretches, yawns mightily and circles around to find a new position in his cat bed. When I climb into my lovely bed, he joins me at the foot.  We work on sleeping together.

Yes, I don't really mind the cold at all this first day.  We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment