Monday, January 23, 2012

Another Winter Day

Yesterday it began to rain.  The rain turned to drizzle over night and that became a thick coating of ice on roads and sidewalks.  This morning, the snow began, making travel even more treacherous. Traffic stopped around here.  I had to cancel a meeting in Appleton.  It wasn't safe to go there. 

It doesn't happen every winter, but when Wisconsin sidewalks get the ice treatment they stay that way until there's a major melt and that can take a month. This feels like another winter like that. 

Once, when Chris was young, the sidewalks were so incredibly slippery, we put on ice skates and skated around the block.  It was the only way to get around.  I'm too old for skates, so this evening, at the fitness center, I did a few miles on a recumbent bike.  

Several times this winter, Gary and I will spend a morning at a mall walking around. We never buy anything, just walk. It isn't as good as a summer day on a national forest hiking trail, but we exercise as best we can. 

I told Gary I was going to take a nap and get up in March.  


No comments:

Post a Comment