Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sometimes You Just Accept Things

I started trying to arrange an eastern storytelling tour in the middle of September.  I wanted to go to Rhode Island, Delaware and perhaps South Carolina.

I followed my usual system of selecting a route then sending e-mails to every library along the roads and highways.  I sent out ten e-mails every evening, cutting and pasting my pitch in each one.  This went on all the way into mid-November.  It was exactly what I did a year ago when I arranged a six-week, 19 library tour on the West Coast.

This time around I finally am admitting defeat.  After all that work, only two librarians showed interest in my services.

I was never sure what the problem was.  It might have been the economy.  Wisconsin is not the only state whose government is cutting funds for libraries.  However, I think the real reason was the summer reading program theme, which is the same in 48 states.

Last year,the theme was "One World, Many Stories," which called out to storytellers all over.  In 2012, the theme is centered around night.  I tried convincing librarians that they could have campfires or pajama parties, but it never worked out.  I expect there will be planetarium visits or astronomer visits.

So next summer, Gary and I will be camping in the national forests watching our own night sky.  Instead of telling stories, I will be working on my writing.

Things often work out for the best when you accept what life offers.

No comments:

Post a Comment