Thursday, December 8, 2011

Advent Concert

It's my turn to write a short story by tomorrow for the blog I share with Wade Peterson (http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com) but as choir director,  I am also responsible for an Advent concert at the United Methodist Church on Sunday at 6:00 pm.  I wonder if I can get everything done.

Last night we held a rehearsal but it was poorly attended because the Cicero Methodist Church, whose choir plans on joining us in the concert, had a Christmas party instead.  The Praise and Worship Choir, the contemporary group, will be joining us, too, but it turned out they had a rehearsal at the same time as ours.  Our strongest tenor had to work and our strongest soprano was having health issues.

We charged ahead because there is no choice.  The concert has been advertised, so it must take place.

We did what we could.   By the end of the rehearsal, I had the concert program finalized, or so I thought.  Today, I had to run over to the church twice to deal with changes.  We added piano and trumpet solos.  One of the vocalist changed her solo.  The Cicero Sunday school deleted one of their songs. I learned I will have to play the piano for two vocal solos.  I'll have to practice some for those. Still, it looks like an interesting concert and we've pulled off miracles before.

I spent part of the day baking Christmas cookies because there is to be a reception afterwards.  I need to bake more, too.

But meanwhile, I need to get that short story finished. It has to be done so it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment