Saturday, December 10, 2011

Christmas Update

Gary couldn't wait for the Christmas sales and now that eleventh tree is in place.

It's small but it lights up my bedroom at night.

Gary continues to decorate.  He bought some wrapping paper and is using it to wrap lampshades so that they glow at night.  Candles are everywhere with pine or cranberry scents.  

Three weeks ago I bought something I've wanted for years, a Christmas cactus. I selected one that was not in flower but was full of buds. Since then, I've been watching it anxiously, wondering if I would never have anything but buds.  Today it started to bloom.  These plants last for decades if properly tended, so I think it was a good investment.

Rascal the Cat is now in Christmas mode.  He explores all the new decorations to make sure they meet with his approval.  When Rascal does not approve of something Gary or I do or if the nosh is not to his liking, he usually sticks his tail straight up and stalks off.  In the holiday season, he retaliates by going straight to the nearest Christmas tree and bats an ornament until it falls to the floor.  Hey, a cat has to express himself! I don't put anything breakable on the bottom branches.

Gary and the squirrels continue to battle.  He is often in the basement designing a new squirrel-proof feeder.  Meanwhile, he has greased the poles.  This has no effect on them whatsoever.  They are getting fatter and he is running out of sunflower seed.  

I've been over at the Methodist church rehearsing.  The concert is tomorrow night.  I have no idea if we'll pull the thing off.  I never know, but there's no going back once the publicity is out.

This afternoon, I pulled out the short story I want to post on December 23rd, thinking it was a rough draft and was surprised to find out that it was pretty much finished.  When did I do that?  The 15th is my solstice party and for my contribution to the entertainment, I think I will read "The Pastor".

Tra la la la la! I love the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment