Monday, December 5, 2011

Clearing Files

Chris is planning on replacing this computer with a new (used) one.  His job, which I don't understand, is working with computers.  He always has the latest equipment, and when he buys something new, I get his castoffs which are still state of the art.

Before he brings the computer over, I have to go through my documents and delete the unnecessary ones.  I haven't done this since 2007 so there were many, many files.

About three weeks ago, I wrote a post about volunteering and how after thirty years, I intended to stop doing it.  This deleting process is an indication of how much work I was doing for the community.  I've deleted over 300 files so far and of those, at least 250 had to do with work for the organizations I've been involved in.

When I was on the city council, I wrote up reports to my constituents. I worked on grants.  When I worked with the Seymour Greenway planting trees, I wrote up agendas and reports.  I wrote publicity for various clubs.  I created posters for civic events.  I drew cartoons of Seymour's citizens from a century ago and wrote up their histories. With a couple of friends, I compiled a list of the birds that we see in Seymour.  And so it went.

One project after another, years of work for the community.  No wonder I never was able to find time to write!  Now the files are gone.  All that remains are the short stories, novels and essays I have been writing.  They will be transferred to the new computer soon.

I am free of all those commitments.  It feels so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment