Thursday, October 27, 2011

More Soup

There's been snow in north central Wisconsin, but here, the tomatoes are still ripening on the vine, so yesterday, I made my special vegetable soup again. It is a spicy soup, perfect for a cold evening.  But more than that, I know when I am eating it, I am getting most of the nutrients I need for the day.

The base for the soup is a can of chili (chili with beans, chunky chili, turkey chili, or vegetarian chili). Whichever, a bowl of soup provides about 10 grams of protein, as well as some Vitamin B6.  I add a sandwich to bring my daily protein up to the required 46 grams.

The tomatoes provide Vitamin C.  I get beta carotene from the carrots, potatoes, and squash.

Beans, peas, cabbage and spinach have folic acid. Broccoli is a source for Vitamin K.

B12 comes from the Parmesan cheese I sprinkle on top.

Each bowl is only about 250 calories. It's a heart healthy meal and delicious, too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment