Thursday, May 5, 2011

When it All Comes Together

Today was one of those days when things go your way.

First of all, the sun was shining, the temperatures were moderate, and the wind died down. It was a day for walking around to see what was happening. I went downtown and found a big sign on the old pizza parlor, which closed down when the owner died suddenly. The sign read:  "Coming soon, China Garden!"  Whooooo---eeee!   A Chinese restaurant in Seymour.  Bliss!

Next, I went for my yearly physical.  My old doctor retired this past year and I met his replacement, Dr. Erin Kimball.  I found out I am healthy, though there are tests to come in June.  We compared travels.  Dr. Kimball worked in a hospital in Botswana.  I've been reading the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency novels, which are set in Botswana.  "I would love to go there, but who would hire me?"  Dr. Kimball told me that unlike many African countries, Botswana is rich in diamonds.  She encouraged me into looking for work there.  And so I shall.  I'm thinking January, 2013 which is our winter but their summer.  I have too many other commitments until then.

Then there was the e-mail from a writers' colony in Arkansas.  Nikki spent two weeks there recently and recommended me for a residency. It would be time to concentrate on my novel.  I got the application.  I am thinking about March 2012 for that adventure.

Then I heard from an editor who wants to publish my short story "Candle in the Window" in the on line magazine Mobius.  After thinking over the terms, I agreed.  Though I've published many articles, this is my first adult fiction sale.

I received an e-mail invitation from a friend who is having a Solstice celebration June 18-19 with friends camping over.  I am leaving on my tour on June 20, so this is a great kickoff.

I finished the day gardening in the sunshine.  My friend Susan came over and I gave her a big bouquet of daffodils.  She brought me a loaf of her homemade bread a couple of days before.  That's a good exchange of gifts.

Finally, Gary, who has been in Illinois helping his aunt on the family farm, came home.

What a lovely day it was, a day when things came together, putting my life in focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment