Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Daffodils


The daffodils seen through my office window brighten the gloomiest day.  I have gathered four big bouquets for friends and church members yet there are hundreds left.  They snuggle all winter under the pear tree then show up just when I need them.  The pear tree is in bud, too, with the promise of juicy Bartletts come fall.

Also in bloom:  tulips, anemone, lungwort (prettier than it sounds), scilla, Virginia bluebell, hyacinth, trillium, vinca, and pasque flower.  The snowdrops have given up and the crocuses are about to join them but there will be a resurrection of flowers next Easter.  

I ate my first asparagus three days ago.  I plan on making a strawberry rhubarb pie by the end of the week. We'll plant peas and onions by next week and by Memorial Day the gardens will be complete.  

Isn't spring wonderful?   


No comments:

Post a Comment