Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Shopping with Tisha

I still need more performance clothes for the summer trip, so I consulted my personal dresser (my daughter-in-law Tisha). We agreed to go shopping at the Appleton St. Vincent de Paul Resale Shop at their $5 bag sale.  I was looking for easily washed dresses that could be rinsed out at a campsite and hung on a line to be dry and ready for the next day's storytelling.  No ironing necessary is key since most of my campsites don't have electricity.  Pockets to hold my autoharp pics were a bonus. 

Tisha is a marvel.  She went from rack to rack pulling things off, holding them up to me and throwing them in our shopping cart.  We looked for good labels, too.  I didn't try anything on in the store figuring if things didn't fit they would go into my church's rummage sale on May 14.     

After less than an hour we had found:
--  six performance dresses or jumpers, one from Talbot's, two from Land's End
--  a pair of blue jeans with an elastic waist, nice and comfortable on long drives
--  a lavender Christopher & Banks sweater
--  an ivory Christopher & Banks spring jacket which is a match for another I own in purple
--  a long man's tee shirt suitable for sleeping 

One of the great buys was a Crofts and Barrows winter coat identical to one I've had for several years.  Its a lightweight coat that was still warm, but over the years the fluffy lining had worn down and I'd spilled more than one hot drink on it while driving.   The "new" coat was missing its hood, but the "old" hood unzipped and then zipped on the new coat and matched perfectly.  

I had so many clothes that I assumed I would be spending $10 but no, the volunteers stuffed it all into one $5 bag.  Wow!  They even stamped my St. Vincent de Paul "frequent shopper" card.  For each $5 I receive a stamp.  With two more stamps, I can use the card to take ten percent off a major purchase.  
 
Everything was in great shape and it turned out that it all fit.  I checked some of the stuff on the Internet.  The Talbot's and Land's End dresses originally sold for about $100 each.   The sweater was about $80.  In the end, I bought almost $500 worth of clothing for $5.  I feel rich, rich, rich!

But the best treasure of all is having a clever daughter-in-law.  
 
 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment