Monday, May 2, 2011

Bounty

Today, the first asparagus spears appeared in my garden.  I ate them for supper.  The rhubarb will be ready in a week. I'm already planning a strawberry rhubarb pie.  The herbs are coming, too.  The oregano and chives are ready.  I'll plant fennel, dill, basil, and parsley in about two weeks.

We've started beefsteak, rutgers, roma, and cherry tomatoes from seed.  I have 18 plants going, probably far too many.  We'll likely give some to our friends.  

Once my garden starts producing, there's food in the wild, too.  Starting tomorrow, I begin to walk a route that will take me a mile as I search for asparagus.   It is the same route my grandfather and father took before me. One of these days, I will pass it on to my grandson.  (My son doesn't like asparagus.)  I should get enough to serve it three or four times a week until mid-June and freeze a few pints, too.   I'll pick wild strawberries, blackberries, and mushrooms as the season goes on. 

Summer's bounty has begun.  No turning back now. 




No comments:

Post a Comment