Friday, May 13, 2011

Rose-Breasted Grosbeak - May 13, 2011


I saw the first rose-breasted grosbeak on the trail last week. This sweet little bird used to migrate through my property every spring, just the one, then disappear.   I hadn't seen one for several years so I was delighted. I thought it a rare bird indeed.

Then I talked to Dan, the city handyman who goes around the city carrying binoculars in his pocket so he can check on his feathered friends.  (Dan and I created a pamphlet with a checklist, "The Birds of Seymour", two years ago.) He told me that the grosbeaks with their deep pink chest feathers had been returning to Seymour for the past two years. There are several pairs down at the lake park.

Then this morning, the grosbeak was at our suet feeders.  No, there was his lady and wonder of wonders, a second pair.  Will they be regulars here this summer?

As I look out the window now, I see him again munching safflower seeds. What more can we do to make him and his family feel at home?  They have food, water, and lots of trees. I'll put aside some grass clippings for their nesting material as I work in the garden this afternoon.

Around here, being the hostess with the mostest means providing for critters.

No comments:

Post a Comment