Monday, May 9, 2011

The Dump

This morning we rushed to beat the rain to get our brush to the city landfill.

At this time of year, people cart refuse to the dump as they work on their yards.  You never know what you might find.  I have spirea, irises, and a few other perennials that I rescued from the landfill. As we emptied the trailer, I spotted bricks a short distance away. I scurried over.

These were chimney bricks, perfect for a path made entirely of dump leftovers that I've been working on for years. We loaded them onto the trailer then sort of slipped through the gate because there are some rules about these search and rescue missions. I consider them silly because we need less stuff in our landfills, not more.

Now the bricks are stacked up, to be added to the path.  Some of the older bricks on the first section have crumbled and will have to be replaced, but I estimate that we'll add another five feet to the path.  All I need to get started is the old tarp in Gary's storage unit and some good weather.  I can't wait.

Gary says it doesn't take much to make me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment