Friday, May 13, 2011

The Cherry Tree - May 11, 2011


Note:  Blogger has been down for a day, so I was unable to post yesterday.  I'll do two today.  



This morning I took my morning cup of tea and went to the deck to look at the cherry tree which is now in full lacy white bloom. It's an ornamental cherry tree, so it will never have fruit, but still it blooms each spring.  Good intentions, perhaps.

The pure white petals were good for my soul, but then there was a spot of orange moving through the branches. Yes, there it was, the first Baltimore oriole of the summer.  He flew down to the suet feeder so I got a good look at his orange body and black head.  Mrs. Oriole, a more modest yellow,  soon was at his side.

I called up to Gary, who found the oriole feeder and the grape jelly.

Later, we ate our lunch out on the deck.  Again, a bright spot, but this time red-orange.  It was an orchard oriole, only the second I've seen.   We followed him with binoculars to the cherry tree and then I saw the next bird arrival, the ruby-throated hummingbird working the cherry blossoms. Now Gary has to put up the hummingbird feeder.

Soon after, the cherry tree had another visitor. The first house wren chewed me out for having the temerity to exist in his yard.  Or perhaps he is upset that the roof of the old wren house finally finished rotting away.  His spring job is to build several nests for his beloved to check out, but he knew full well that she would choose the wren house....if it had a roof.  This makes his job more difficult. It's not easy being a wren male trying to impress a wren female.

One cherry tree.  So many stories.  Chekhov would be proud of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment