Sunday, December 5, 2010

Music!

Tonight is my church's annual Christmas concert.  Besides the chancel choir, we'll have two Sunday school choirs, the Praise and Worship Band, a hammer dulcimer piece, and a sing a long of hymns.   We've been rehearsing for weeks.  As choir director, it was my job to select the music, organize the program and rehearse the chancel choir. As pianist, I play for soloists and ensembles.  It meant practicing at the church daily.

One of the choir members is Vera, who will sing a solo part in one of the pieces.  It required someone who could "wail" gospel.  I tried younger members of the choir but only Vera could get that great African American sound.  Vera is a 4'10" dynamo who has been singing with this choir for 75 years.  At 86, she still babysits daily with grandchildren of the toddlers she used to watch.  I hope to grow up to be like Vera.

Who cares about presents when we have concerts? My Christmas is all about family, friends, lights and music, music, music.

No comments:

Post a Comment