Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Maps vs. GPS

Gary loves his GPS and thinks I ought to have one in my car.   His is on at all times, even for a two block drive to the grocery store.  It amazes me that a guy who doesn't like a woman telling him how to drive can listen to an annoying electronic voice directing him at every turn.  If the voice isn't activated, he is constantly looking at the computer.

On my travels, I have a simple system.  Before I start the car, I take out the map and jot down the numbers of the highways I will be traveling on and how far between each turn.  I note cities where I can stop for groceries, a quick meal, and e-mail access. The information goes on a clipboard beside me that gets perhaps ten glances a day.  If I get confused, I can always pull off the road and look at the map.

I'll stick with maps.

No comments:

Post a Comment