Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Florida in February

I love Wisconsin, my home state.  One quarter of the state is in forests.  We have more lakes than Minnesota, over 11,000.  (They thought of their motto,"Land of 10,000 Lakes" first.)  There are pristine rivers to canoe, trails to hike, wildlife to observe.  Yes, I do love this state, except in one month:  February.   That is a month of extreme cold, blizzards, and gray skies.  It is during that month that I am beset with Seasonal Affective Disorder.  I have no friends, I am suffering from some terminal disease (a new one each year), and life is horrible. Yes, February is the longest month, no matter what anyone tells you.  Then comes March and I find that I have so many friends, I wasn't sick after all, and how can life be terrible when the daffodils come up?

That is why I try to think of ways to escape Wisconsin in mid-winter.  Tours in New Zealand, Australia and southern state often happen in February as I search for the sun.

In mid-February, my friends Heather Ponting and Jacynth Hamill, Celtic a capella singers, will fly into Wisconsin from Great Britain..  From here, we'll go down to Florida to perform in the Gainsville area for over a week.  We'll drive back here for their three weeks of performances.  By the time they leave, it will be spring in Wisconsin and I'll have survived another winter.  Bless them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment