Thursday, December 5, 2013

Christmas Memories - 3

When we lived in Schaumburg, Illinois, I discovered an interesting store in a warehouse district. It was where unsold crafting items were stored and sold off at huge discounts. It was there that I found sketchbooks, water colors and pencils for my drawings. I found yarn and floss that I used to make pillows that I gave for presents. It was there that I found kits of all kinds for crafts I could do with Chris. I bought some and for a few years, he and I made ornaments for our Christmas tree.

We did ceramic pieces that required putting some kind of clay in molds and baking them, then decorating them.
I don't remember how many we made.  Over the years, all but this one broke. Perhaps we didn't bake them properly

Another kit contained metal forms and colored plastic beads. We had to very carefully put the beads in the forms that rested on a cookie tray.  This was a very laborious process but it gave Chris good exercise on his fine motor skills. Once we had filled the ornaments it was my job to take the tray to the oven for baking.  In the end we had some pretty little stained glass (plastic) ornaments that have lasted over thirty years.  

Each year I put them in front of a light so that they glow on the tree.  


Another year we tried doing the same thing.  We did all the work but I tripped on the way to the oven scattering little beads all over the kitchen.  We never did that again.  It was around that time he realized what a klutz his mom was. 

When I place these ornaments on the tree I am remembering time I spent with my son at the kitchen table as we prepared for Christmas.  

No comments:

Post a Comment