Monday, November 25, 2013

Early Morning, Dixon, Illinois

I wake up to sunrise during these days in Illinois. In my Central Wisconsin, I come down to the kitchen for my breakfast in the dark at 6:00 am. Here in Illinois the sun is beginning to come up. I can watch the sun rise as I pot around making tea and toast. There are three reasons for that.

First, we are farther south. By coming here, we've gained at least an extra half hour of sunlight.

Second, the sunrise is not obstructed here. My Wisconsin home is surrounded by houses and trees. I don't see the sun come up until it gets past the obstructions. Illinois has fewer trees and we are out in the country. There are no farm buildings to the east of us.

Finally, the land is flat. Gary informed me yesterday that this farmhouse is on the highest point in Rock County. I laughed at that. In Wisconsin, the highest point in any county is on a high hill or even a mountain. This farmhouse is only on an almost imperceptible slope that comes up from the Rock River. The far away trees along the river are the only indication that there is a change. The treetops are just a fringe in the prairie scenery.

Gary says we can see the lights of Dixon from the farmhouse, but we have to climb up to the second floor to see them.

My mother, who grew up in North Dakota, would love this place. When she moved to Wisconsin she felt claustrophobic. Too many trees, she told me once. That is not a problem here, but I do miss my forests.

***
We have no Internet access in the farmhouse. To post on this blog, I must drive into Sterling or Dixon and do my best to find a hot wi fi spot. Yesterday, a Sunday, I spent half an hour struggling with the McDonald's connection before I could post and I never got around to getting my e-mail or checking on Facebook. Today I will try the library.



No comments:

Post a Comment