Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Day Two - Re-Writing the Mystery

As I worked through Chapters 3 and 4 today, I remembered that the names of the garbage men were originally Mike and Gary, but I had begun to change them to Elwyn and Fenton.  However, Mike and Gary keep bleeding through the pages wherever I forgot to make the change. I went over and over the first four chapters and hope I now have that right.

I realized today that while I have plenty of suspects, I need to hide some clues here and there. I will be thinking about that tomorrow.

I need to add to the sexual tension between Peter and Mary Beth, the two lead characters.  I want to develop the role of the Chief of Police.  And of course there are those two garbage men, Aggie at the diner, Mike (he took over the name for one of the garbage men) at the hardware store and other suspects.

How long should the book be?  Our short story collections are just over 30,000 words.  My romance novel is 75,000.  So far, my mystery is about 55,000 words and that doesn't seem too far off to me.

****

While this is going on, I'm anxiously awaiting the proof copy of Black Coffee Fiction, Volume 2: 33% More Caffeine.  When it arrives I have to go over it and report back to Wade with any corrections.

I want everything done by October 31 so I can spend National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) working on yet another novel.

And of course, there are those short stories for the blog, too.

I am one busy writer these days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment